The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Benji Lucero

Benji+Lucero

Benji Lucero began teaching at Santa Fe High as an educational assistant in 2019. Now he teaches the life skills class to students with disabilities. 

Mr. Lucero began working in education because he wanted a job that fit his lifestyle and it was better than working retail. He was also motivated by the chance for a better salary. But he quickly fell in love with education when he met a student who had a big impact on him. 

“He was just a funny kid, very open to education,” Mr. Lucero explained. “Everyone loved him – he would go into classrooms and everyone would say hi.“ This student inspired Mr. Lucero to keep working in education because of the friendship they had built.

Born and raised in Santa Fe, Mr. Lucero earned his associate’s degree in teacher education at Santa Fe Community College and his bachelor’s in university studies at New Mexico Highlands University. Now, he’s almost done with his master’s degree in curriculum and instruction, also at Highlands.

Mr. Lucero said he really enjoys teaching and loves to see his students make progress. He used to coach basketball and plans to do it again once he finishes earning his master’s degree. 

When he’s not teaching or studying, Mr. Lucero likes to go fishing and hang out with his wife and dogs.