The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Marissa Branch

Marissa+Branch

Marissa Branch joined the Santa Fe High staff in 2023. Although she is new to the staff, she is not new to the school. 

Ms. Marissa is a Santa Fe High School alum who was both a high-achieving student and cheerleader during her time as a Demon. After graduating in 2014, she attended New Mexico State University, where she earned a B.A. in Individualized Study and double-minored in English and creative writing. 

Ms. Marissa is a co-teacher for chemistry, environmental science, English, and special education. She is also the assistant cheer coach and the daughter of Gina Branch, the head coach of the Santa Fe High Cheer team. She said she loves to coach alongside her mom. 

Ms. Marissa said she loves her job and has always wanted to become a teacher because of the help she had received from her own teachers.

She struggled in college, so she decided she would study what she wanted to teach, which was English. “I learned about the alternative licensure program, which I planned on doing in the future,” she said. After completing her college cheer career in 2018, Ms. Marissa focused on her writing and was accepted into the MFA program at NMSU. 

Ms. Marissa has sure reached her goal. “I am happy to be back at Santa Fe High in a different role,” she says, adding that she loves this school so much because of all the memories she made here, “especially winning State in 2014,” she said. 

One of her biggest hobbies is coaching her cheerleaders. Freshman Thalia Anaya had good things to say about having Ms. Marissa as a coach: “I like how she’s more like a friend, how she acts like a superior but has mutual respect for us.” Thalia continued, “She’s helped in improving me in cheer, and improving my self esteem.”

In her free time, Ms. Marissa enjoys watching the Blue Jays. She had been a fan of the Blue Jays since she was little, but when it’s off season she likes to hang out with her partner and walk her dog.