The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Review: Madame Web a Flop

Review: Madame Web a Flop

Madame Web was a complete flop and it will leave a mark on the Marvel legacy as people remember its mediocrity years from now. 

Madame Web is an action, adventure, sci-fi, and thriller movie that shows the first appearance of this comic book character in the Sony Marvel movie franchise. I am rating the movie a 3 out of 10.

Aside from the poor acting, poor costumes, and senseless plot, one thing stuck out and eliminated any chance of enjoyment for the viewer: the CGI. 

To be honest, the Computer Generated Image is something else entirely. There is an obvious disconnect between the actors that prevents the viewer from believing or immersing themselves in the movie. 

The costumes were as cheap and simple as you can get. They were not comic accurate, barely resembling how they looked in the original comics, and seemingly little effort was put into their design. Also, the Madame Web costume has more red in it than there needs to be.

The movie has a good cast of actors and actresses, with Dakota Johnson, Sydney Sweeney, and Adam Scott, but the acting was mostly not good. 

Dakota Johnson plays Madame Web. The performance she brought to the character, portraying a young version of the character, is very interesting. Johnson played a good mentor and protector. However, the way she was saying her lines didn’t feel right to me. I rate her performance a 5 out of 10.  

Next is Sydney Sweeney’s character, Julia Cornwell. We saw how she can play a different type of role than what we’ve seen from her in other movie roles. Sweeney played Julia like a shy but smart character. Overall Sweeney did a good job – her performance was the only thing that kept me in the theater. I rate her performance a 7 out of 10.

The last actor we’re going over is Adam Scott, who plays Ben Parker. A lot of people know Ben Parker as Peter Parker’s (Spider-Man) uncle. But in this universe, Peter Parker doesn’t exist. Adam played a supporting character in the movie. Adam and Dakota on screen had a good friendship. Adam was one of the only characters I actually liked in the movie. Adam Scott’s performance is an 8 out of 10.

The story did not make sense, and the plot was too fast paced. They did not base the movie off of any comic book with Madame Web.