The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Dance Concert Features Student Choreography

The SFHS Dance Program will perform its Student Choreography Showcase on March 15 and 16, showcasing the work of the Dance III and II students.

“This one-hour performance marks the culmination of a year’s journey through the intricacies of dance creation, exploration, and expression,” said dance teacher Amy Compton. “Throughout the school year, our students have embarked on a profound creative process, guided by the principles of Liz Lerman’s Critical Response Process. This method has nurtured an environment of constructive feedback, collaboration, and reflection, enabling students to transform initial seed material into fully realized choreographic works.”

Dance is a set of movements set to music, performed either alone or with others. But according to many students in the class, dance is an artistic way to express emotions.

The Santa Fe High Dance program is based on three levels: Dance I, II, and III. The dances are based on different styles of dance and music, ranging from hip-hop to jazz. SFHS dance students are encouraged to explore various forms of dance from around the globe to learn what they like most and through which they can express their very own embodied emotions.

Dance teacher Amy Compton, who has taught for over 25 years, states that she guides students by using the National Dance Standards and fostering “dance literacy.”

Ms.Compton is inspired by transformational learning and making art for social change. She said she investigates stories that create connections and empowerment over the embodied process of dance. 

Dance student Izabella Arazo said, “We aren’t afraid to be ourselves. Everyone is great here. It’s also just a way to show who we are.” 

Simon Dolcine said, “Dance lets us express ourselves. It’s like a get away from school. We do dance for the fun of it.” 

Simon said he is inspired by ghetto funk, which drives him to also create visual art. 

The Santa Fe High Dance Concert will be March 15 and 16 in the theater. The choreography was created by Dance II and Dance III students. Tickets will be available online soon. Shows will be Fri., March 15,.at 7 p.m.; Sat., March 16, at 2 p.m., and Sat., March 16, at 7 p.m.