• Have a great summer!
The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will next school year be better or worse than this one?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Teen Guide to Summer in Santa Fe

Louis Herndon
The Bisti Badlands In Northern New Mexico

With the Santa Fe Public School district deciding to begin the 2024-25 school year on August 9, a few days earlier than usual, there are a total of 77 days of summer break this year. Summer break always flies by, and on the last night of summer, before setting an alarm for the first day of school the next morning, no one wants to be thinking, “Wow, that felt way too fast. I wish I’d spent it differently.”

So how does one slow summer down, savor it, and make the most of it in Santa Fe?

Summertime in Santa Fe isn’t always the most lively for youth, but with the right amount of adventurous spirit and curiosity, “The City Different” can be an endless playground.

Top 7 Summer Activities For Teens:

1. Hiking
    There’s no better way to soak up New Mexico nature and the Santa Fe sun than exploring the outdoors on hikes. The Dale Ball trails, Atalaya trails, and Bandelier trails are all sure to impress. (There’s also a good chance of encountering wildlife).
  2. Meow Wolf
    The Meow Wolf craze has simmered a little bit for locals since it emerged on the scene, but the interactive art venue is still a blast and has likely added many features since you last visited.
  3. Biking
    Not only is biking the most environmentally efficient mode of transportation, but it’s a fun way to spend time with friends and family. There are also hundreds of fun mountain biking trails around the area that are accessible to all levels of bikers. Ganging up with a few friends and exploring Santa Fe on bikes could offer the new perspective on the city that you’ve been looking for.
  4. Camping
    There’s no better way to appreciate the starry night sky than camping in Northern New Mexico. Although equipment can be a restraint, once you’ve gathered your gear, many places in the Hyde Memorial State Park, Santa Fe National Forest, and the Nambe Falls area are free to camp.
  5. Teen Center
    The Santa Fe Teen Center has everything a teen would need – snacks, video games, basketball hoops, and more. Check out Mario Valdivia’s coverage on the teen center in the Demon Tattler.
  6. Live Music
    Live music is always a central attraction in Santa Fe, and a cultural hub for the entire Southwest. The world-class Santa Fe Opera will be operational throughout the summer, and the summer-long band stand music festival is also a fun place to meet up with friends, listen to a wide-scope of international music, and enjoy food from local food trucks all summer.
  7. Art Festivals
    Santa Fe is home to a plethora of world-class art festivals and museums, which cannot be overlooked. The Santa Fe Indian Market, Traditional Spanish Market, and Santa Fe International Folk Art Market all take place here during the summer in your backyard, so why not check them out?

Along with keeping an eye out for fun cultural events around town, picking up a job or internship is always a rewarding summer experience. Summer is what you make of it. Enjoy and savor it by journaling, taking photos, and spending time with family and friends. Before you know it, you’ll be back at Santa Fe High.