The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mobile Legends: Bang Bang — Skins, Skills, and Stories

Mobile Legends: Bang Bang is a fascinating multiplayer online battle arena game developed by Shanghai Moonton Technology in 2016. It is one of the most popular games globally and has been downloaded over 550 million times, according to Statista.com.

Unlike many other games that require in-game spending to keep up with the competition and make substantial progress, Mobile Legends: Bang Bang is mainly free to play. To many gamers, this is like a spark of light appearing in the dark of an industry that is drifting further toward pay-to-win structures. The game relies entirely on skills and other improvable factors, including a hero’s mastery, strategy, or the combination of builds.  

The game contains a variety of equipment including attack and defense items. The players could create their builds by selecting the six items that benefit their hero the most. The items are purchased through coins obtained by slaying enemy minions, heroes, and towers. 

The heroes in the game are divided into six roles: Tank, Fighter, Marksman, Assassin, Mage, and Support. All of the heroes in-game are unique and have their own story behind them. 

Many find it amusing to read these stories. Many of my in-game friends told me they chose the heroes based on their personalities. One of them chose to play Tank Heroes because he goes to the gym frequently. One particular hero I like is Kagura, who has a delicate design with a mix of blue and white clothing. 

In the game, there are many costumes for the heroes called skins. Even though most of the visual skins in-game require money, the game occasionally hosts events with free skins. Once I received a free skin for one of my favorite heroes, Kimmy. 

The game also has a very organized set of ranks. Each season, the ranks reset, and players compete against each other in teams of five. The ranks are separated into the Warrior, Elite, Master, Grandmaster, Epic, Legend, and Mythic. 

As compared to similar games like League of Legends and Arena of Valor, Mobile Legends: Bang Bang has a much brighter graphic design. Unlike League of Legends, the game has a much shorter match length. This benefits gamers who prefer to play on the move.

Similar to games of the same genre, the game hosts open tournaments with prizes. 

To make sure the players stay energized and motivated to play, the developers frequently update the game, adding new heroes, skins, and effects. One of the latest updates was done in cooperation with Ducati, a motorcycle company, where they added two new skins involving motorcycles. 

The game, which originated in China and first grew popular in Southeast Asia before reaching the global stage, is entertaining and constantly improving. More gamers should play it.