The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will next school year be better or worse than this one?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Demon Baseball 2024: A Bittersweet End For Seniors

Santa Fe High’s 2024 varsity baseball season might appear to be one to forget, if one looks only at the win column. However, the memories made by graduating seniors will be far from forgotten.

“I think in every season, no matter the win total, it’s always a great experience being with all the guys, just having fun getting out there and playing baseball,” senior Jevon Burns said.

The Demons are 3-21 this season, with two games remaining as of May 3. 

“As time went on it got more and more tough to be able to be optimistic,” Jevon said. “I still loved going out there and playing with my teammates, but not winning makes everyone upset.” 

The season has been tough for seniors looking to have a better final dance. However, there still have been moments throughout this season and in past ones that have made the losing a little more tolerable. 

“I’ll remember the bus rides to and from teams in cities farther away,” senior Marques Roque stated. “I feel like a lot of other teams don’t have as much fun as we do on and off the field. Lows are constant in baseball, but having a team like ours that’s always having fun, you get that out of it.”

Marques hit a home run in the first game of a doubleheader against Capital on April 27, but it wasn’t enough as the Demons suffered two disappointing losses against their district rival. The ceremony to honor graduating seniors, which took place in between the two games, left the seniors with mixed emotions. 

“The ceremony was well put together by the parents and we really felt appreciated,” senior Brian Trujillo said. “It’s just hard to enjoy it after such a tough loss.”

College baseball doesn’t look to be on the horizon for any of the seniors, so the last two games of the season may be some of the last times they’ll ever put on a uniform. Lessons learned on the field, however, will still stay with them even in other careers and professions.

“Learning the values of working hard and leadership was something I loved doing and hope will stick with me in college or in my future careers, Jevon said.

The varsity team will have one more chance to send its five seniors out on a high note when it plays Rio Grande in its final two games of the season on Saturday.