The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

• No (61%, 20 Votes)
  • Yes (39%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 33

Loading ... Loading ...

Santa Fe Girls Lacrosse Undefeated — and Deeply Connected

The Santa Fe Girls Lacrosse team has started their 2024 season off with a bang, with an undefeated 5-0 run against teams from both Colorado and New Mexico. 

New head coach Brooke Allen was brought in to lead the team this season. Allen, who played Division 1 lacrosse at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, is highly praised by her players. “She had some big shoes to fill this year from our amazing coaches from last year,” Santa Fe High senior Ella Jacobs said, “but she has learned the ropes very quickly and her experience and expertise are a great addition to our team.”

The team is led by captains Callie Trader (SFHS), Mizan Jacobs (SFHS), and Sofia Van Luchene (SFP), all midfielders, and Georgie Dorwald (SFP), who is a defender. 

Callie, who was also a team captain last year, said, “Because we’ve gotten a new coach every year, there hasn’t been much stability, so we’ve only had each other. This has made our team really tight-knit.”

Santa Fe’s competitive edge is a result of their leadership and connectedness as a team. Ella explained that the team’s success is a function of their chemistry both on and off the field. “Each player brings their own talent and skill to the team, making it that much stronger. But aside from skill, our team is so successful because we are very in tune with our teammates,” she said. 

While the team plays under the Santa Fe Prep name, the girls on the team come from schools across the city. “We are all good friends no matter what school we go to, and because of the great community within our team, you learn each person’s strengths and weaknesses.”

Ella continued, “This translates into our gameplay where we are able to be there for our teammates to know when they need help and know when to get out of their way as they run to the goal.”

“It’s like a braid down the field,” said Callie, explaining how the players work together.

“Every goal, save, and turnover is celebrated by our lively sideline,” Ella added.

Even with a team playing this well, there is always room for improvement. Santa Fe High sophomore Ella O’Brien stated, “We have been working on communication and teamwork, so that everyone on the team feels included.”

The team hopes that, with minor tweaks and continued excellence in play, they can win the rest of the season. Senior Sachi Payne expressed that their ultimate goal is to “improve, and win the rest of our games.”

Mizan and Sofia will continue their lacrosse careers in college, playing Division 3 at The College of Wooster, in Ohio. Callie, however, will be attending Pace University, which does not offer sports on her campus. 

“What I’ll miss most is how well we all work together,” she said.