The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Boys’ Basketball Starts Season with Tournament Win

Varsity team poses with Bobby Rodriguez Capital City Tournament trophy after championship game.

The boys’ basketball team claimed the Bobby Rodriguez Capital City Tournament trophy on Dec. 2, defeating city opponent Academy for Technology and the Classics (ATC) in the championship game 66-40.

Senior Lukas Turner picked up right where he left off last season, scoring 25 smooth points on the night, 11 of which came in the first five minutes on three consecutive pull-up threes and a mid-range jumper.

The Demons cruised after picking up a double-digit lead in the middle of the first quarter as shots continued to fall from outside and ATC struggled to get anything going past the Demons’ ravaging half-court trap.

On their way to the championship game versus ATC, the Demons skated past the Santa Fe Indian School and Los Alamos, whom they beat 53-34 and 72-45, respectively.

The tournament, hosted by Santa Fe High, allowed fans to get their first look at the team under new head coach Francisco Rivera, who seems to have the crew in good order.

The Demons have no shortage of scoring options aside from Lukas; junior guards Joe Gonzales, Nico Morales, and Sam Soveranez are each reliable ball handlers and deep-threat shooters, and seniors Juan Ortiz and Michael Abeyta bring a defensive edge and quickness off the dribble that the team lacked last year when neither of them played due to injury.

The Demons are also stacking up well with other tall 5A programs with competitive size in the frontcourt.

Starting center Christian Herrera has a large presence in the paint as a natural rebounder who also cuts to the basket aggressively and frequently. Six-foot-five forward Aiden Vassel is picking up a bigger role for the Demons this year, playing some important minutes in the second half of Saturday’s championship game. Senior center Josh Gallegos, who stands at 6′3″, was also pulling down boards for the Demons consistently throughout the tournament.

The tune-up tournament games come at an ideal time for the team as they face a competitive La Cueva High squad at home on Tues.,, Dec. 5, at 7 p.m., and rivals Cleveland High and St. Mike’s later this month.