Voter Registration Drive at SFHS on Nov. 7

48196373 - us constitution.

48196373 – us constitution.

Rhiannon Webb

On Nov. 7 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., seniors at SFHS will be given the opportunity to register to vote, all thanks to the League of Women Voters. Students may register in both the Business Center and A-building.

Teachers will let students out of class in small groups throughout the day so that all seniors are able to register.

Below are requirements for people who want to register and also for those who want to volunteer (both teachers and students) to become a Voter Registrar Agent (VRA).

Requirements For Students Registering to Vote:
Must be a resident of the state of New Mexico;
Must be a citizen of the United States;
Must not be legally declared mentally incapacitated;
Must not be a convicted felon, or a felon who has completed all of the terms and conditions of sentencing;
Must be 18 years or older at the time of the next election.

Requirements For Becoming a VRA:
Step 1: Complete this step by Nov 1:
Go to the Santa Fe County Office at 102 Grant Street, downtown. You will park in front of the building or along the side streets.
As you walk in the door, enter the first door on the left. Let the clerk know that you would like to become a Voter Registrar.
Do not say that you are part of the League of Women Voters as that might complicate things.
The clerk will give you a short training (about 15-20 minutes) and then you will take a brief and easy test (10 minutes).
After reviewing the test with the clerk, you will be certified as a VRA.
They will give you a card and 20 voter registration applications that are assigned to your VRA official number and belong only to you.
Bring your VRA certification and your 20 registration applications to the Step 2 training.
Step 2: Complete this step either Nov 5 or Nov 7:
When you are finished at the Santa Fe County office, notify us, Ms. Randi Lowenthal, and Ms. Anne Culp. We will give you additional League of Women Voters’ training, which focuses on specific issues that affect students. This training will take about 30 minutes and will be scheduled at Santa Fe High on either November 5 or Nov 7. You can respond to all of us on this email exchange so that we can schedule the meeting. [Probably Nov 7 at around 8:15 a.m.]