Join a Club!

SFHS Club Info, 2019-2020

(Clubs are listed in no particular order)

WAVE
WAVE is a student-driven club that promotes student wellness and improves school climate by providing mentorship to middle school students and peers at SFHS. We attend training sessions and work creatively as a team on issues such as suicide prevention, substance abuse, bullying, and gun violence. (This club was formerly known as SWAT.)
Meets Mondays at lunch, A-204
Sponsor: Ms. Hogan

Devil’s Advocate
Devil’s Advocate is a debate centered group in which members attempt to argue different perspectives. At each meeting a topic is presented to the group. It is to your advantage to speak first as no two people can argue/hold the same perspective on the predetermined topic. So if you want to argue your own perspective or stance on the topic, it is up to you to speak up right away. If you do not speak right away, you may have to argue an opinion that is not your own.
Meets Tuesdays at lunch, A-132
Sponsor: Ms. Spurgeon (Student founders: Jordan Ortega and Cristhian Tierney) 

Youth & Government Club (Formerly known as Model Legislature)
This club adds a new level of experience-based learning on how state government works. Students will learn about the judicial system, how to draft and debate bills, and about the media. They will develop core skills such as leadership and public speaking.
Meets Thursdays at lunch, A-004
Sponsors: Mr. Pederson and Ms. Karasic

Bilingual Club (affiliated with New Mexico Dream Team)
Through training and leadership development, club members work to engage our community and allies in becoming leaders. More information may be found at https://www.nmdreamteam.org/about/
Meets Thursdays at lunch, A-137
Sponsor: Ms. Beltrán

National Honor Society
Organized to promote academic excellence and service to the community, NHS facilitates students volunteering with non-profits and other local organizations in the area.
Must be 10th grade or above to join. Applications available in March 2020.
Meets Mondays at lunch, Sci-321
Sponsor: Mr. Pitman  

Model United Nations
This club fields teams to create an authentic simulation of the UN General Assembly and UN Security Council, introducing students to the world of diplomacy, negotiation, and decision making.
Meets Fridays at lunch, A-005
Sponsor: Mr. Eadie

Amnesty International
Amnesty International members fight injustice and promote human rights. Members discuss these issues and raise school and community awareness of human rights abuses across the globe. Tea and coffee served at every meeting.
Meets Tuesdays at lunch, A-005
Sponsor: Mr. Eadie

Science Club
Come join us as we travel the world and compete in science competitions such as Science Fair, Supercomputing Challenge, Science Bowl and other state and national competitions. Past travel has included Peru, Egypt, Thailand, the Caribbean, and China. Students of all grades are welcome. Election of officers and first meeting will take place Tuesday, September 16.
Meets Tuesdays at lunch, beginning at 12:20, Sci-322
Sponsor:  Anita Nugent

Dance Club
This club sponsors the dance concert in November as well as many dance related activities on- and off-campus. Club members can be performers or non-performers — being onstage is not required!
Meets 4th Wednesday of every month at lunch in the dance studio in the Performing Arts building.
Sponsor: Ms. Scheer

Chess Club
All chess players, regardless of skill, are invited. Anyone who wants to learn to play is welcome. Chess sets are provided. Bring your own lunch.
Meets Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at lunch, BC-103
Sponsor: Mr. Hauf

Best Buddies
Best Buddies works to build friendships and connections between students with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their peers. People with IDD form meaningful connections with others, gain self-confidence and self-esteem, and share interests, experiences, and activities.
Best Buddies is open to anyone interested in building community, friendship, and leadership skills at SFHS.
Meets Thursdays at lunch, A-148
Sponsors: Mr. Rivera

Thespian Society
The Thespian Society is student-run and promotes the performing and dramatic arts at SFHS; affiliated with the International Thespian Society.
Meets alternating Wednesdays at lunch in the theater in the Performing Arts building
Sponsor: Mr. Meschefske

Stock Market Club
Learn about stocks, bonds and mutual funds. Create an investment team and invest $100,000. Buy and sell stocks, bonds, and mutual funds in real time. Compete in The Stock Market Game challenge and win prizes at the state level. (We had the state high school winning team in 2017-2018!) Club president Adam Duran will help guide you through the bull and bear markets.
Meets every other Tuesday at lunch, starting Sept. 3, A-003
Sponser: Mr. Caldwell

Hiking and Photography Club
Anyone wishing to go hiking on the many trails in or around Santa Fe is invited. There is a Google classroom for the club and a sign-up sheet for each hike, so we can figure out who is going and who will carpool with whom. Parents are invited as well.
Meets Wednesdays at lunch, A-129
Sponsors: Mr. Langley, Ms. Spurgeon

Key Club
Key Club is an international student-led organization that provides its members with opportunities to provide service, build character, and develop leadership.
Meets Fridays at lunch, A-208
Sponsor: Mrs. Garcia; Kiwanis of Santa Fe

Sexuality and Gender Acceptance Club (SAGA)
This club provides an essential safe and supportive space for LGBTQ+ teens and allies to discuss, learn about, and act on sexuality and gender issues.
Meets Thursdays at lunch, A-201
Sponsors: Mr. Dotts and Ms. Walukas

Student Government
This club is a group of students that are in charge of managing a wide range of events, activities, programs, policies and initiatives around school.
Meet Wednesdays at lunch, VA-106
Sponsor: Ms. Karen Hare

Student Leadership & Advisory Council
The 9th and 10th grade SLAC primarily promotes leadership and advises the principal on student academic and social emotional matters. This includes taking the lead with various schoolwide community projects, alone or in conjunction with other clubs and organizations. Membership consists of students who have good behavior and make good grades, but we sincerely look for students who have not had great behavior and have not made good grades in the past.
Meets twice a month (dates TBD), in Activity Center (Associate Principal’s Office)
Sponsors:  Ms. Tullman-Kaltenbach, Mr. Granado (“Mr. G”)

Senior to Freshman Mentorship Program
The program is designed for motivated and compassionate senior role models interested in a commitment to 9th graders in need of support for an entire year. The program primarily entails mentoring and supporting 9th graders with the support of the counseling department, principal, and truancy coach. Detailed leadership and mentorship training is provided, along with ongoing assistance and community engagement events.
Meets as often as needed, depending on the needs of the group, in Activity Center (Associate Principal’s Office)
Sponsors: Mr. Chavez, Mr. Granado (“Mr. G”)

Computer Science Competitions
This club is a time for students to collaborate on and practice for various CS competitions including the Supercomputing Challenge, Congressional App Challenge, PicoCTF, and others.
Meets during Mr. Smith’s advisory period, BC-003
Sponsor: Mr. Smith

Choir Club
This club is to do just a little bit more — if there is a male quartet that wants to rehearse, here’s our time. Also, additional support and projects come out of this club.
Meets Thursdays, 4 to 5 p.m., in Performing Arts-003 (the choir room, downstairs)
Sponsor: Ms. Barnes

Gaming Club
Do you like having fun? Do you like board games, Magic The Gathering, chess, card games, and video games? Then this club is for you!
Meets Fridays at lunch, BC-103
Sponsors: Ms. Walukas and Mr. Smith

Robotics Club
Design! Tinker! Build! Program! Compete!
Meets Wednesdays at lunch, BC-101
Sponsors: Ms. Walukas and Mr. Smith

Youth Shakespeare/Poetry Slam Club
The Youth Shakespeare Festival is a city-wide celebration of Shakespeare. Students work alone or together on a favorite excerpt. We work together to memorize lines, block action, and give one another direction. We will also be visited by master actors, stage fight directors, and other mentors. The focus this year is a combination of Slam Poetry and Shakespeare Soliloquy. This year’s performance will be held at Meow Wolf, with all of Santa Fe’s YSF chapters. Join us if you love theatre, like to have fun with other actors, and want to experience something completely unusual!
Meets Wednesdays at lunch, BC-102
Sponsor: Ms. Miceli

College Prep Club
College Prep Club is a group of students focused on after high-school success. It is a chance for students to work interactively with their peers and get inside information from counselors and alumni without having to navigate College Plaza. Aside from college applications, it is also a chance for group study for standardized tests like the SAT, SAT Subject Tests, and the ACT.
Meets Mondays, second half of lunch, in Sci-421
Sponsor: Mr. Buschman