Unsafe? Disruptive? Why No Skating On Campus?

Daniel Lowrey, Author

Why? Why do schools have a policy against skateboarders and their fire rides? Is it because skaters are traditionally rule breakers and the hotheads of youth? Or is it more of a liability issue? If someone gets their ankle broken or head cracked open, who would be held responsible?

Official district policy does not disallow riding a board — all it states is that it cannot be used in a “reckless manner,” meaning that students should be able to skate on campus and have their boards with them.

The SFPS Student & Families Code of Conduct 2018-2019, on page 16, lists among its violations, “Using any motorized or self propelled vehicle on or near school grounds in a reckless manner, or so as to threaten health or safety, or to disrupt the educational process, i.e., negligent or reckless use of a motor vehicle, drone, skateboard, bicycle, etc.”

When senior Nico Gentile, a skater, learned the guidelines only state that “negligent or reckless use” on campus is against the rules, and not skating itself, he replied, “It’s angering.” He added that the possibility of being able to skate on campus “would be amazing.” Nico has gone here all four years, and in that time he said there has never been a program or a designated place to skate on campus.

Assistant Principal Mutz said he is aware of the policy and stated that he would like to have more opportunities for students to skate, adding that he thinks skateboarding is a good way to get around, but the real problem is priorities and money.

The most important question would be, Where would this designated spot be? He first suggested the tennis courts once the construction begins, but quickly took it back because it’s so far away from the main area of campus, saying, “We have to know who’s on campus.” He also stated that another reason administration doesn’t allow skating is there are cracks in the concrete on campus, creating more of a risk for injury.

Mr. Mutz explained that there was an incident six years ago between two groups where one student got hit upside the head with a board and administration was forced to take action. They then implemented skateboard lockers, which are available in Student Services. Students can lock their boards up there during the day. Mr. Marano’s secretary, Yolanda Ogden, gives out those keys.

If Santa Fe High School would make a liability form for skaters absolving the school of responsibility if they got hurt here, and designate a place where skaters could skate, there is a chance that it could make peace between the school and skaters.

In general, many colleges and high schools don’t necessarily have a problem with students skating to class, but want to avoid the risk of skaters hitting someone else. (Of course, for skaters, falling down a flight of stairs trying to ollie up onto the rail isn’t going to be cherry coming out, but part of the fun is failing.)

For example, at University of California Irvine, their policies used to state that students could skate in certain areas but not in others, such as classrooms or halls, but the big war is about tricks and showing off. UCI states that it is unacceptable because of the risk — they could get sued. And because of this they banned skateboards on campus back in January of 2018, according to a UCI campus newspaper.