• This week: Mon., 11/19, even day; Tues., 11/20, odd day; Wed.-Fri., no school. Happy Thanksgiving!

The Demon Tattler

Demon Tennis: Midseason Report

Lincoln Byrd, Author

The tennis season is now underway, and after about a month and a half of practice and training, the varsity team has already played several matches and tournaments. (The top eight players from both the boys and girls teams constitute the varsity teams.)

The first match was at Capital High School, where only the varsity boys played. It was a small match that ended in defeat for the Demons.

Both varsity teams played a tournament in Carlsbad on March 10, where the girls placed fourth out of eight, and the boys placed seventh out of eight.

In the match against Raton on March 14, the girls team beat Raton with a dominant score of 8-0. The following day the Demons played Moriarty where the boy’s team lost to them by a score of 2-6. The girl’s team beat Moriarty 6-0.

As of right now, the varsity boy’s have three wins and three losses, while the girls have six wins and only one loss.

Matt Hunter, a varsity player, said of the team, “It’s really great. In general, this is a really supportive environment that goes beyond just simply tennis.”

The JV boys team has over 15 players. Their first match was on March 21 against Española, where they won by a score of 6-3. Their first match, scheduled for March 13, was cancelled due to lack of transportation. (There are not enough girls to form a JV team.) The JV had another match at SFHS on March 29, where they won with a similar score of 6-3.

SFHS Freshman, Joseph Romero-Kleve says he’s excited to be playing tennis and loves to compete.

It’s a big tennis team this year, and the coaches are hoping to get the best out of the players. Head coach Bonnie Rogers said she’s excited to have a big team and is looking forward to a great season.

Assistant coach Ray Martinez said, “It’s great having all these guys here getting them to play tennis. It’s a great sport to play.”