• Have a great summer!
The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will next school year be better or worse than this one?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

World Autism Awareness Month

World Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism Awareness month, which serves as a reminder of the progress made in understanding and supporting people with autism

Autism is a development disorder that affects how people interact with others, speak, learn, and behave. According to Mental Health Information, autism is described as a “development disorder” because symptoms mostly appear in the first two years of life, although autism could be diagnosed at any age. 

According to Autism Speaks, autism is recognized every April, starting with United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness month on April 2. Everyone is encouraged to participate. Participating with purpose and passion in a 36-mile fundraising challenge could make a huge change in the lives of children with autism. 

During this month, people unite to celebrate diversity, advocate for inclusivity, and continue fighting for a brighter future for people with autism. The number of people on the autism spectrum is constantly growing — it is estimated to be 1 in a 100. It takes a village to make change. 

According to Mental Health Information, people with autism often have difficulty with communication and interaction with other people, restricted interest, and repetitive behaviors, all symptoms that affect their ability to function in school, work, and other areas of life. 

Autism can be a lifelong disorder and can affect people of all races, gender, and ethnicity. Some treatments can improve a person’s daily functioning and alleviate symptoms, but the disorder is incurable.