The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Color Guard: A Choreographed Workout

The color guard is a team of young adults that perform choreographed movements with equipment such as flags, rifles, and sabers. The Santa Fe High color guard performs with Demon Band during marching band season, and at other times of the year they create their own dances. 

Dancing with equipment enhances and interprets the music in band or drum shows. Color guard helps the marching band be more effective, explaining the show’s concept or story with movement. 

“The guard supports the band visually during marching season and is a key component to our shows,” band teacher Mr. Wilson said.

The guard helps the band be more successful when it comes to impressing judges at competitions, and they are included in parades and football games. 

Color guard is a fun, full-body workout for young adults and keeps them active through the year. It can be challenging as the dances require good cardio and precision. A color guard must be flexible enough to dance and spin.

According to Mr. Wilson, the guard members are considered  full members of the band and go with the band on all trips and activities. Guard teams often get to travel to places such as Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and Arizona. 

Santa Fe High will not have an official color guard class until next year, but they do after school practice on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5 to 8 p.m. The group is currently learning choreography for winter guard.

To join the color guard, talk to the band director, Mr Wilson.

Annalyn Gutierrez enjoys color guard.