The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What Does a Community School Coordinator Do? Ask Mr. Tommy!

Tommy Rodriguez wears a lot of hats at Santa Fe High, including one as interim guardian of the library, but none are more important than his position as Community School Coordinator.

As a CSC, Mr. Tommy is a liaison between SFHS families and welfare agencies, a guide to graduation for struggling students, and a channel of support for students, families, and teachers.

CSCs throughout the district partner with community agencies to assist students with whatever they need. They partner with the Food Depot, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, Baile Folklorico, the Teen Parent Program, and Las Cumbres Community Services.

Mr. Tommy said, “Every year we do assessments to see what the students need, what the parents want and need, and as well as teachers.” After gathering information, the CSCs develop their program.

He explained, “The students have told us that they want to do community service, to have more life experience, have a variety of classes, and have more tutoring and mentorship programs.” Once he understands the needs of the students, he assists them.

“The same thing goes for parents,” he added. “Parents request to have more social activity, tutoring and mentorship, and emotional services.”

Santa Fe High hasn’t had a librarian for over six months, since Ms. Rita left on medical leave, and for that reason, Mr. Tommy’s role has changed. He constantly monitors the library because there is no one watching at the front desk. When he sees kids ditching class, he makes them leave the library, encouraging them to go to class because he knows that graduating high school is a game changer that will improve their lives for good.

“Education has made a huge difference in my life and has opened doors for me,” Mr. Tommy said, adding that although he wasn’t a straight A student, he graduated from high school and college. He said, “[Education] has opened a lot of career opportunities for me to have a better life and to do things that I wanted to do.”

Mr. Tommy likes working with young people and has become a positive force in the lives of many. He worked in juvenile probation for 25 years, trying to help adolescents who’d gotten in trouble with the law get their lives back on track. After he retired from that, he began working with Santa Fe High students. “Kids have helped me a lot as a person, and as a parent,” he said.

When asked if people at Santa Fe High appreciate his work, Mr. Tommy said, “I’m old school – I don’t need people to tell me ‘thank you’ all the time. My thank you is that check every two weeks because my responsibility is to go out and do my job to the best of my ability, and the organization’s way of saying ‘thank you’ is by giving me a paycheck.” He added, “However, I feel appreciated and I am grateful to be here.”

For any student who needs assistance because they are struggling at school or having problems at home, Mr. Tommy is the go-to man. He will try to help any student succeed.