The student news site of Santa Fe High School

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

The Demon Tattler

Polls

Will you be attending the prom?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Santa Fe High Remembers Ms. Salazar

Juliet Marie Salazar, who died on August 12, was a teacher at Santa Fe High School since 2015. She was loved by many of her colleagues and students. 

Ms. Salazar taught English Language Arts, along with AVID and media literacy. She also advised the Esports club.

“I’ve never had a teacher quite like Ms. Salazar, and I don’t think I ever will [again],” said Ryder Finch. 

“Juliet, like many of us, was always spread too thin because she wanted to do all the things for our kids,” shared Michelle Hogan, who works with the ACE program. “She’d always say, ‘I know, I know, everything’s a priority.’ ”

“She was one of the nicest teachers I’ve ever met,” said Ziara Mercado. “I wish I would’ve had the opportunity to get to know her more…. May she rest in peace.”  

One of Ms. Salazar’s passions was theater. She acted and directed plays in El Paso and Fort Worth, Texas; Denver, Colo.; and Savannah, Ga. In Santa Fe, she worked for Teatro Paraguas, where she was a board member. 

“I saw Ms. Salazar in a performance of Elliot: A Soldier’s Fugue, and she was tremendous,” said English and journalism teacher Ms. Gerber. “She was so talented, in so many ways. Her death is such a loss.” 

Ms. Salazar and her husband, Steve Nenni, who is also a teacher, were married for 25 years.He said they were the “best of friends and soulmates.” They loved to travel together, as when they went to Rome for Christmas in 2022. They attended midnight mass at the Vatican and spent time exploring the city. They also visited Naples and Pompeii.  

Ms. Salazar and Mr. Nenni enjoyed going on walks together, where they would sit and watch wildlife and birds. He shared that she enjoyed hiking and exploring New Mexico, and making jewelry for people.

About the illness that led to her death, Mr. Nenni shared that Ms. Salazar had been feeling pain in her stomach for a while, but she never wanted to go to the doctor. When she finally decided to go, it was too late. She was diagnosed with Stage 4 gallbladder cancer on July 18.

The cancer was so aggressive that it spread to her liver and lungs and strained her heart. She died August 12, at the age of 52. Mr. Nenni stated that if she could, Ms. Salazar would want to tell everyone, “If you’re feeling any sort of pain, please go get checked. See a doctor – it could save you or a loved one. Don’t wait.”

“I miss holding her hand when we walk,” said Mr. Nenni. “I miss hearing her sing spontaneously as she often did. I miss her laugh, her voice, and her beautiful smile that was full of so much love.”

“She was one of the best teachers I’ve ever had, and we’re all gonna miss her,” said Mariana Gonzales. 

“I miss Juliet’s calming nature and kindness,” said English teacher Ms. Miceli. “She was so great to work with and bounce ideas off of… There are so many things to cherish about beautiful Juliet, but she will live on through all she inspired in us.”

(A GoFundMe site has been set up for Ms. Salazar’s family.)

View Comments (1)