Entering the “Gates of the Demon”

Connor Crumm, Author

From an outsider’s perspective, Santa Fe High can seem like a typical public high school with a large student body and a vast campus. It doesn’t get name-dropped as often as the big-money private schools in town, but despite this it has already exceeded my expectations.

To many, it would seem intimidating walking through the gates of the “Demon,” especially coming from a private school, but that has not been the case for me. My opinion of Santa Fe High is very positive after only two weeks.

Walking into school that first day I wondered to myself, “Will I fit in here?” I was unsure of what to expect, but a number of factors have proven that I will indeed fit in here.

One of the factors has been the teachers, who are committed to helping students learn their subject by using different tools. I myself am more of a visual learner than a listener, but both are evident in each of my classes. For example, my trigonometry teacher uses lectures, technology and textbooks to help his class understand the concepts. Santa Fe High is laudable for their advanced methods of teaching.

The teachers also have good relationships with their students and seem to enjoy making the learning environment enjoyable as well as serious. A vital characteristic that I believe helps to achieve this is the more advanced technology evident here and its role in the classroom, such as Smartboards and document cameras. Youth are comfortable with technology and it helps the teachers teach more effectively.

Another interesting aspect of Santa Fe High is its course offerings. The almost never-ending list of classes, both core and electives, was something that seemed almost fictitious, with names like “Emergent Technologies” and “Production Systems.” This is new and interesting to me as I was used to a much smaller course selection. In addition, classes are grouped by academy, which can provide for students with varying personalities and interests.

The most noticeable difference has been the much larger and more open campus. As soon as I walked onto campus, the first thing I noticed was the plaza. In the middle of the school day it is quieter than a library, but once the bell rings, the atmosphere changes to a jubilant meeting place for students of all ages. And the eight-minute passing periods give students ample time to catch up with their friends and still make it to class on time.

The transition between schools in the middle of a school year can be difficult, but I did not experience this when coming to Santa Fe High in late January. I am satisfied with my decision as this school has already exceeded my expectations. The opportunities that have arisen for me here are better than any I could have found at other schools in Santa Fe.