SFHS Contributes to Successful Fiesta

Will Germann, Author

Santa Fe’s Fiesta season broke many records this year, and Santa Fe High was a big part of the celebrations.

SFHS won multiple awards: Demon Band was awarded second place in music entries, and student government won third place for school entry.

If you went to the Historical/Hysterical Parade, you would have seen many people from Santa Fe High’s clubs and teams, including ROTC, band, student government, and teams such as football, cheer, and volleyball. The band and ROTC also marched in the Pet Parade.

“It was cool to be a part of [marching in the parade],” one freshman band member said. “I’ve been going to the pet parade since I can remember, but just as a viewer …. It was interesting to experience the pet parade from a different perspective.”

Jonah Goot, a freshman member of ROTC who also marched in the Pet Parade, said, “Walking with all these cool people and seeing a bunch of people watching me was a really cool experience.”

In addition, Key Club contributed to this year’s stuffing of Zozobra.

Jonah added that he would like to get involved in the making of Zozobra next year. “I wish I was more involved,” he said. “From what I heard, it sounded like a great experience for anyone.”

This year’s annual Zozobra event, on Sept. 1, was the most successful Zozobra to date. Zozobra (@burn_zozobra) announced on Twitter that the official attendance for this year’s event was 60,131. On top of that, there were “No arrests, no incidents, [only] three medic calls and no lost children!” Comparing these numbers to previous years, it is clear Zozobra has improved drastically in safety while still growing in fans.

The red-haired puppet drew people from all over the states; some people who were at Burning Man, an annual festival in Nevada, cut their time there short to come to Zozobra. This year’s attendance grew by approximately 5,000 people from the previous Zozobra, a 55,000 record set in 2016.