Girls’ Soccer: Historic Season Comes to an End


Charly Skelton, Author

After a historic run, the Demon soccer players have hung up their cleats until next season, most seniors doing so for the final time. Their season came to an end on Fri., Oct. 28, when they lost to Las Cruces 4-1 at Field of Dreams Stadium in Las Cruces. Although allowing four goals, goalkeeper Molly Wissman had 16 saves.

During this run, the team made the quarter-finals for the first time ever. They qualified with a 14-6-2 regular season record and a 8-1-1 record in district play. To birth their quarter-final appearance, the Demons pulled off a thrilling upset win against their adversary Albuquerque High in the first round, winning 5-4 in shots from the mark after drawing 1-1 in regulation and an entire overtime period. 

Nevertheless, the Bulldawgs of Las Cruces proved to be too much for them.

While the State showing didn’t end the way they wanted it to, the players had great things to say about the season. Midfielder Kaya Schlesinger-Hanson, who had three goals and three assists, said, “Most would assume that going to State was the best part of the season, but for me, it was the practices. I am so lucky to have been able to call these girls my teammates and friends. They truly were the best part of the season.”

The leading goal scorer for the Demons this year was junior midfielder Asha Smelser. In 22 games, she scored 37 goals with 22 assists. When asked what her favorite part of the season was, she said, “I’ve built so many friendships within the team. It was awesome being able to go to state this season and beating Albuquerque High.” 

The Demons started the year off strong with a dominant 4-0 win over rival St. Mike’s in a 5-1-1 start. They then hit a skid over the next five games in which they won only one game. They found their groove in district play, but couldn’t seem to beat Albuquerque High, losing to them 2-1 in double overtime and drawing 1-1 after double overtime.

There was extra motivation for the Demons in the first round as they were facing Albuquerque High for the third time. They made it count as they won after a shootout to advance to the second round.

The below photos, taken by Ms. Andrews, show the sendoff the team got as they left for Las Cruces.