Mariano Romero: Graduated 1948

What was your most memorable high school moment?

My junior/senior prom when I was a junior. I was also class president all through high school.

What kind of person were you?

I was a fun and loving person. I was a musician in several bands. Sophomore year I was in football but I didn’t make it junior year because I was so small.

How did high school impact you?

It gave me the opportunity to be a leader and I felt good about that. I kept trying to be a leader when I could after [high school] and even now.

What was world life like when you were in high school?

World War II just ended my freshman year. There was no fighting anywhere as far as I know. The world was pretty nice and all in peace except for when the Korean War started in 1950. I was drafted when I was 21.

Are you doing what you thought you would be when you graduated?

I wasn’t sure [what I wanted to do]. I went to college and majored in business and education, then knew I was going to be a teacher. I liked it a lot. It’s a hard job; there were downsides. Just keep going.

What was SFHS campus/school like?

It was so nice. We had access to downtown. The setting was really nice. I usually rode my bike or walked to school. I never drove — we did have a car my senior year, but I’d only use it every once in awhile. I was very happy and comfortable. We’d go to town and have a Coke [after school] where all the teenagers met. The little place we went to is where the Lensic is now.

If you could tell your high school self one thing what would it be?

Don’t stop going to school after high school — go to college. Do the things you want to do and love what you do, but most of all be a good husband, be a good father, be a good grandfather. And don’t stop there. Keep going.

Do you have any advice for people in high school now?

Never give up. If you have a hard class, keep at it and you’ll pass it.

The Demon Tattler • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Demon Tattler Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *