Model UN Update

Rhiannon Webb

Model United Nations is an extracurricular activity that most schools around the state and across the country provide to students. Students who join Model UN are grouped with other students to discuss international issues of different countries and eventually try to find ways to resolve them. 

Students are grouped together into different countries, delegations, and committees with the initial aim to research and learn about their country for the upcoming conference. 

Based upon information that was provided by Justin Reynolds, president of Model UN this year, there are about five committees in Model UN that students can request to join: General Assembly, Human Rights Council, Security Council, Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization, and Economic/Finance Committee. 

Along with these committees, member schools are given three countries for students to research. The countries for this year are Switzerland, Zimbabwe, and Indonesia. (While the countries change every year, the committees listed above do not.)

After two months of researching and collaborating on the issues of their countries, the conference convenes in November. Students are then given the opportunity to participate in a two- to three-day session that takes place at the Roundhouse in Santa Fe. During the conference, students collaborate with other delegations, debate issues and topics, and aim to conclude the conference with resolutions to the international issues they researched. 

Model UN helps improve students’ public speaking skills, exposes them to new experiences, and opens up opportunities to meet new people and make friends. 

Although delegations have already been selected for this year, students can join Model UN next year. Meetings are held in Mr. Eadie’s classroom, A-005, at lunch on Fridays.