• Schedule for week of 4/22: Testing from 8:45 to 10:30 in 2nd period class; Mon., even; Tues., odd; Wed., even; Thurs., odd; Fri., all day

The Demon Tattler

Silvia Sancho Silvestre

Back to Article
Back to Article

Silvia Sancho Silvestre

Ashley Contreras, Author

Silvia Sancho Silvestre joined the staff of Santa Fe High in 2018. She teaches Algebra 1 bilingual and Algebra 2, offered in both English and Spanish.

Originally from Ontinyent Valencia, Spain, Ms. Sancho earned a telecommunication engineer degree from The Polytechnic University of Valencia. “I like science and was attracted by it,” she says.

Ms. Sancho was brought to Santa Fe by the Visiting Teaching Program, which gives teachers the opportunity to teach in another country for up to five years.

The teaching here is very different from Spain,” she explains, “starting with the way the classes are organized, in periods, not depending on your age but on the credits you have done. The teacher evaluations are another different thing; we don’t have the principal come to our class. In Spain you can receive an evaluation from your students through a survey.” She adds that students in Spain are not allowed to change classes, to go to the restroom during class, or eat in class.

“There are many different things in Spain because we are culturally different,” she explains. “Different for me means learning — not better or worse, only different — and it is a constant learning for me.”

Ms. Sancho says she enjoys everything about her profession. “You never stop learning,” she says. “I like to teach and be in contact with young people. There’s always more to learn and you can always learn something.”

Ms. Sancho moved to Santa Fe in July of 2018. She and her husband have two children, 7 and 10. “They complain  about the number of hours that they spend in the school,” she shares. “Here they are in school from 8 until 3, but in Spain they go from 9 to 12:30 and then 3:30 to 5.”

In her free time, Ms. Sancho enjoys ice skating, hiking, listening to music, going to the movies, and reading.