Norah Tullman-Kaltenbach

Back to Article
Back to Article

Norah Tullman-Kaltenbach

Natalia Lucero, Author

Norah Tullman-Kaltenbach joined the staff of SFHS in August 2018. She teaches New Mexico history, world history, and geography.

Mrs. Tullman-Kaltenbach was raised in Northern New Mexico although she was born in upstate New York. She moved here when she was six months old.

A graduate of Taos High School, Mrs. Tullman-Kaltenbach spent two years at UNM on scholarship and then took advantage of the National Student Exchange Program to go to Southern Oregon State College for a year. She studied for a year in Wales (in the United Kingdom) via an international student exchange program. At the University of Wales at Swansea, she earned a diploma in medieval and renaissance history, which also fulfilled requirements for her bachelor’s degree at UNM.

After completing her undergraduate degrees, she lived in Russia where she taught English to students training to be school teachers. She also interned at the State Puppet Theatre. She then attended Nottingham Trent University in England where she earned a master’s in theatre arts in puppetry and costume design.

Mrs. Tullman-Kaltenbach then went on to earn a master’s of fine arts degree in drama and costume design at the University of Washington, in Seattle, and trained to be a costume designer. As a costume designer, part of what she did was study fashion and dress history — what people wore in the past. She said, “Finding out what people wore in the past gave me a key into how people lived in the past — not just the wealthy people, but everybody. That was how I became interested in studying history.”

She became a teacher because she thinks it’s important for everyone to teach others at some point in their lives. “I want to share my love of learning with other people, and help them to understand themselves and the world by continuing to learn. Teaching helps me continue to learn, too. By continuing to learn we make our lives richer, and I think that’s important for our future.

“When I was in highschool,” she added, “I hated the way history was taught. But I hated it because I actually loved it and just hadn’t found my way into it yet. It is super important for students to keep their minds open. We don’t know the future, but by appreciating the past we better appreciate ourselves and those around us and can actively shape our future.”