Stephen Hauf

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stephen Hauf

Diana Ruiz-Montaño, Contributor

Stephen Hauf, who co-teaches biology, environmental science and physical science, has been at SFHS since 2004.

Originally from Billings, Mont., Mr. Hauf earned his undergraduate degrees in elementary education and music at Rocky Mountain College in Billings in 1978; and a degree in philosophy at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology in Berkeley, Calif., in 1983. He earned his master’s degree in reading education and a special-education graduate level endorsement at Montana State University in Billings in 1991.

When he was in college, he was involved in many extracurricular activities, such as chess club and Circle K Club.

Mr. Hauf began his career in 1985, in Lame Deer, Mont., capital of the Northern Cheyenne Nation, where he taught in a special-education resource room. In 1988 he began teaching in a similar program in Gallup, N.M., where he stayed for eight  years. In 1996 he moved to Santa Fe and taught music at St. Anne Elementary and St. Francis Cathedral School for a year.

“Music was my favorite subject to teach — I really liked it,” he said.

Mr. Hauf then taught at Capital High for seven years. Although he volunteered to transfer to Santa Fe High and doesn’t regret making that choice, he said he enjoyed teaching at both schools.

As a teacher, Mr. Hauf said he wants to reach out to kids who struggle, to help them understand their assignments and succeed.

In his free time, Mr. Hauf enjoys hiking, going to church, maintaining an aquarium, and listening to his two canaries, Tom and Jerry, sing.