Ernie Rodriguez

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ernie Rodriguez

Mariah Salazar, Contributor

History and weight training teacher Ernest A. Rodriguez is a serious man with many words of wisdom.

Originally from Santa Fe, Mr. Rodriguez spends most of his free time coaching basketball at Desert Academy and spending time with his family. He has been married since 1985 and has six children.

Mr. Rodriguez earned his associate’s degree from the New Mexico Military Institute and played basketball at NMMI, New Mexico Highlands University and College of Santa Fe. He earned his bachelor’s degree at CSF in Secondary Education Social Science and Physical Education.

Mr. Rodriguez has been teaching and coaching since 1984. He said his favorite part about teaching history is, “It helps kids understand the world they live in, and it improves kids’ reading and writing abilities.” Teaching history is very important, he said, because it deals with what people think and can also lead us to understand how people think.

According to Mr. Rodriguez, he runs his class in such a way that kids can see that the difference between a student who refuses to learn and a student who wants to learn is the difference between failure and success. Along those lines, he has a favorite quote by Albert Einstein: “I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.”