Davida Garcia

Kristiana Sandoval, Contributor

Santa Fe native Davida Garcia teaches ninth and tenth grade English in the Academy of Culinary Arts and Hospitality.

Mrs. Garcia attended St. Michael’s High School and earned her bachelor’s degree at UNM. She taught at Santa Fe Indian School, Ortiz Middle School and St. Michaels High School. She has been at Santa Fe High since 2011 and loves it here, crediting the students: “The students make this school a wonderful place to teach and work,” she said. “I just love it here!”

Mrs. Garcia said her favorite part of teaching is working with all the various students and getting to know each and every one of them. She became a teacher for many reasons, but especially because of her “desire to spread the passion” of reading and writing to each of her students. She truly believes that through English classes, students learn how they are connected on many different levels to people all over the world.

Mrs. Garcia enjoys taking care of her home, gardening and spending quality time with her family. She also loves reading books ranging from fiction to nonfiction, such as short stories, autobiographies and biographies.

Mrs. Garcia has a lot of interesting things about her. She has traveled throughout Europe, and lived and worked in Switzerland for about six months. When she was younger she participated in sports such as volleyball, cross-country, skiing and softball. Her favorite movie is Iron Man because she “loves the thrill of it.”

Fall is Mrs. Garcia’s favorite season because it’s not too cold and not too hot and it’s the start of a new school year.