Doug Enloe

Doug+Enloe

Krysti Griego, Author

Doug Enloe is one of four counselors at Santa Fe High School (he has last names A, B, C, and Z). Mr. Enloe started his career at SFHS in 1973 and stayed here for 34 years before moving to Saint Mike’s, where he worked for 12 years.

But Saint Mike’s wasn’t the school for him, so he came back in 2019.  About SFHS, he said,  “This is a special place for me.”

Born and raised in Los Alamos, Mr. Enloe did like growing up there though he disliked the lack of diversity. “Very few Black and Hispanic kids,” Mr. Enloe said.

He graduated from Los Alamos High School, where he ran track and played football. He then attended Eastern New Mexico University. 

In his junior year of high school, Mr. Enloe had a counselor who was so caring and encouraging that it inspired him to do what he does now. So in his first couple years of college, he decided to take a psychology class and really enjoyed it, so he kept taking them.

As a college student, Mr. Enloe stopped playing sports to focus more on his education. At ENMU he got his undergraduate degree in psychology and his master’s degree in guidance and counseling. 

Mr. Enloe said his favorite part of college was learning. He enjoyed college very much. “It can be the greatest time of your life; you just have to be able to make good decisions,” he said. 

After Mr. Enloe got the job at SFHS he started at Vo-tech (where ECO is now located), which he really enjoyed because there were so many kids at risk of dropping out who found a special place and something they enjoyed there. Mr Enloe said that was “the most enjoyable experience of [his] career.” 

His favorite part of being a counselor is working with kids. But Mr. Enloe’s job isn’t always easy. The hardest part for him is finding kids the help and support they need. Mr. Enloe said he just wants to have a positive experience with all kids and thinks that some kids have a lot of potential but just don’t see it yet, and that’s what he hopes to help them find. 

“We need to do more to support them,” Mr. Enloe said. 

In his free time Mr. Enloe loves to go fishing and he loves the outdoors. He has a daughter and son who both graduated from SFHS, though his youngest daughter graduated from Saint Mike’s. His two grandchildren also graduated from SFHS, in 2018 and 2021.