Santa Fe High Shutting down again, Should we be Worried for Class’s of 2022 and Maybe 2023?

Rylan W. Martinez, Editor

On January 11, 2022; SuperIntendent Hilario “Larry” Chavez announced we would be going remote following after Martin Luther King Junior Day. From January 18th – 21st, All Santa Fe Public Schools would be going remote to slow the spread of Coronavirus. With a new mutant variant of the virus, Omicron, Santa Fe County had reached its all-time high of cases on January 3rd, defeating its record of the devils year 2020 from 277 to 694 Cases. Putting out half the Student and Staff Population for sure, it was only rumored after January 4th that we would be going remote until the decision was officially made. Now only 4 days of going remote don’t sound bad, however on March 13th, 2020 – It was said that we would be going remote for 5 days after Spring Break. But for those who are in Classes 2021, 22, and 23, we would all know that classes 2020 and 21 would, unfortunately, graduate high school online, with the addition of the following Pandemic, definitely must have taken a huge chunk of golden moment opportunities from most students for sure. Now are Class’s of 2022 and maybe 2023 doomed to endure the same fate? Most Teachers we interviewed want to put your minds at ease with the one common statement, “No, this time it’ll be different now that we have vaccines”, Which is reassuring. But SFPS Superintendent Hilario “Larry” Chavez also said in his announcement that we would hopefully be able to resume hybrid learning on the 24th “if conditions improve”. Which predicting any conditions from covid, any virus especially going into and coming out of winter in a cold and refreshing environment for a virus would be its time to shine especially if we don’t act. Fingers Crossed that covid and any other viruses don’t triumph, it’s most likely if all goes as well as planned for the following week, we will be back in hybrid learning no problem, even with a mutant virus that (mind you) Spreads faster, but less powerful then the original variant.

For More Information:

https://www.sfps.info/article/625487