Student Advisor to the SFPS Board of Education Graduates

Maya Griswold, Contributor

I just finished serving two years as a student advisor to the Santa Fe Public Schools’ Board of Education. I have had many great opportunities and I have learned many lessons. For example, earlier this year I was given the chance to co-host the State of the Schools address, which allowed me to work on my public speaking skills. I was also offered the chance to shadow a senator at the legislature.
And the position has given me the chance to speak with other students about what the board is doing. When the district first started talking about turning Santa Fe High’s south campus into the Early College Opportunities school I was able to talk to students who take classes on south campus and discuss the issue with different teachers, specifically in terms of how the change may affect them. I then encouraged students to speak at the public forum. Often I am the students’ voice regarding many issues.
Working with district administration and board members has taught me how to conduct myself in a professional setting. I have been able to work with Santa Fe High School principal Mary Massey, for example, and ask her questions about some of the issues the board is facing. She has also been able to direct me to other people, like the school accountant, to get more information on certain topics such as how the money for the education technology bond will impact our school. The board is also very helpful in answering questions that student advisors have about board procedure and presentations.
My first year on the board my mentor was former district General Counsel Geno Zamora, from whom I learned many great lessons. Before the board meetings, he would meet with me and the other two student members —one from Capital High School and one from The Academy at Larragoite. In these meetings we would discuss board etiquette and how to act when we are up on the dias. We would also reflect on past meetings and start to formulate questions for the upcoming meeting. One of the most important things I learned from him is that I need to choose my words carefully because many people listen to what I say as a student board advisor.
Many times it seems as though teenagers’ opinions are not appreciated or teens feel that they cannot make a difference. But being an advisor to the school board proves that theory wrong. I would encourage all students to find something they are passionate about, whether it is politics or not, and find their own way to make a difference. The Santa Fe High student member for next year is going to be Willie Wiebe, and if you are interested in serving on the board talk to your school administrators. Also don’t hesitate going to a board meeting and speak at public forum about issues that are affecting your school.